Good morning, Vietnam blogosphere! It’s Saturday again and time to play Self Portrait Saturday brought to you by the lovely, talented, tired, new puppy mom Nannygoat.
Remember the other day when I asked you Why Run? Well, you convinced me. Keep in mind that the last time I ran was senior year of high school. And people, I graduated in 1980. It was some time ago. Determined, I got up this morning at 7:30am (yes, am) and started the Cool Running program: Couch to 5k. Now I mentioned to Allisone (she who started me on this torturous healthy path) that I didn’t think I could do the math counting involved in this plan and she was sweet enough to point me in the direction of some podcasts that do it for you. Those little things are fantastic. Music and encouragement. It is perfect.
Just in case you decide to try this yourself I want to give you a few hints:
- When he says you are half way through your 5 minute warm-up walk, he means the warm-up walk. Not the whole workout. Try not to get too excited.
- During your first 60 second run (there are 8 total) you may discover that there are muscles in your thighs. Who’d a thunk it?
- When he says keep your breathing even and your arms loose, what he really means is: Keep breathing!!!
- The fifth or sixth run you will discover there are muscles in your calves!?!?!
- When he says this run might be a bit of a push, what he really means is: You need a wheelchair. And someone to push you.
- When he says this is your last run and come on you can do it, what he really means is: Enjoy the next 60 seconds because they will be your last.
- Bonus: Go to the bathroom before you start!!! Trust me on that one.
Actually, it went much better than I thought it would. I really feel great. Not sure if I will still feel that way later or tomorrow. But for now I feel good.
Besides the possible benefits of a healthier me and maybe being able to participate in the Breast Cancer 3-day, I am also hoping for my legs to attain a bit of color (suntan!). My self portrait today is my chalky, white legs after this mornings run. By the way, don’t my son’s old football shorts look fabulous on me?
(You are wondering, I am sure, why is the title of this post LOST? Well you see, I have only lived here for 50-something days. I know the road to the store and to work, they are, in fact, the same road. So I probably should have scoped out the area before I started this morning. When I realized the road didn’t go through where I thought it did and I had to go around the program was done. Problem was…..I was still 13 long blocks from home. Yes, I counted.)