Trees Are Your Best Antiques

Have you walked into your local grocery store lately and been overwhelmed by the scent of cinnamon? Then chased the smell through the aisles until you located the giant box filled with cinnamon scented pinecones? Listened to your subconscious scream in your ear, BUY ONE? Yea? Me too. However the $4.99 cost might seem like not much to you, but it is a lot to me. Today, I invite you to come along with me in an experiment to make scented pinecones at home. IMG_4016

Step 1: Collect pinecones. This idea to make my own pinecones occurred to me during a failed fishing trip. The fish had deigned not to join me on the ride home and as we were hiking back to the car I noticed the thousands of pinecones surrounding the trail. I did what any skunked fisherwomen would do: I decided not to go home empty handed. Of course, the only thing I had on me was a tackle box, a fishing pole, two guys, and a net. Nothing to carry the coveted pinecones in. What to do? I made the guys fill my empty fishing net with pinecones. I pointed out the acceptable cones and they fetched and carried. (I feel compelled to tell you one thing about this mode of pinecone transportation: Once a pinecone is inside a net? It really doesn’t want to come back out.)

Step 2: Gather together your necessary equipment: Pinecones, cinnamon sticks, and cinnamon essential oil. That is what the internet says. If for some reason you are unable to get cinnamon essential oil (I could only find it online and it was quite expensive – costing more than a word that rhymes with benty dollars), my suggestion is you rack your brain until you figure something else out that you think will work. (I don’t know actually know how this is going to work, since I have never done it before). I located to possible alternatives: A) an apple cinnamon scented concentrated fragrance oil (craft dept at W*lmart). My thoughts on this find were two-fold, one was that it didn’t smell very strong and secondly that it was apple-y smelling (not a bad thing just not very cinnamon-y. And yes, I will probably make up more words as this experiment continues). B) While perusing the spice area (they don’t really have aisles or organization at Big L*ts), nestled behind some crap I didn’t need, I found cinnamon extract,which has a strong cinnamon scent. My thought on this find was that it probably may not have any long-term scent-y staying power. Thus I decided to combine them. Also in my supplies list my ancient iPod, to help me focus on the task at hand. (Another warning: if you fill your iPod with all your Nickel Creek albums, do not be surprised to find you are overwhelmed with the urge to learn how to play a fiddle.)

Step 3: Cover your dirty, old cookie sheet with a piece of foil. Rinse off your pinecones, removing any dirt, spiders or fishing bobbers that may IMG_4018be present. Layout your pinecones on the foil and bake in the oven at 200 degrees for one hour. You are probably wondering why we do this. I have no idea. I did it because the internet told me to and I believe everything I read on the internet as gospel truth. It could also be to dry them out completely and to ensure they are fully opened. Or to kill any spiders you missed. Just do it.

Step 4: Entertain yourself for an hour. I chose to use the time pampering myself with a shower, a mini pedi, and some DIY TV while eating bon bons folding laundry, making the bed and trying to get the S letter on my laptop to stop popping off every time I used it. (Ever realize how many words use the letter S? ALOT.)

IMG_4020 Step 5: Realize you need more supplies than listed in step 2. Hunt around for a squirt bottle (required). Put on appropriate attire, say a lovely apron from ApronFrenzy (not required, but STRONGLY suggested). Your house will now smell like roasted pinecones, which is an added bonus. Remove the cones from the oven and allow them to cool.

Step 6: In the squirt bottle mix your fragrances. I used a very small bottle and filled it with water. I then added IMG_4202about 3/4 of the cinnamon extract bottle and a good dollop of the fragrance oil and shook it up well. Liberally spray your pinecones, turning often, to saturate with the water mixture.

Step 7: Put your pinecones in a clean garbage bag. Add a bunch of cinnamon sticks to the bag. If you want to add some whole cloves that would smell nice too!.IMG_4205

Step 8: Tie the bag securely and place in a cool, dry spot for at least one week. The longer you let them sit, supposedly the longer the scent will last when you use them. Enjoy! IMG_4208

There is a SALE going on over at ApronFrenzy. Hurry, only two days left to get in on the specials, so go run over there before you head out pine cone hunting!

18 Responses to Trees Are Your Best Antiques

• Mar says:

Not sure why, but I am rolling on the floor laughing (at) with you on this.

I lurve, lurve, lurve smelly pine cones.

I can’t wait to get my bag for the year.

XOXO
    .-= Mar´s last blog ..Cluster Fawk =-.

• Stacie says:

I have seen these scented pine cones before. I have got to make these.
    .-= Stacie´s last blog ..Between Me and The River – Book Review =-.

• Karen says:

This is a great idea! I love the smell of a real Christmas tree but hate finding the needles 5 years later. This is so much better.

• Julia says:

If only I were really that crafty, or motivated… I love your idea. I guess my one excuse could be that there aren’t that many pine trees in our area to pilfer beneath.

What the heck… I am just lazy. ;)
    .-= Julia´s last blog ..Pain is Most Tangible in its Raw Form =-.

• Nessa says:

Ooh… that look and smells divine! I love the smell of cinnamon :D

If only we had Pine trees here in the tropics.
    .-= Nessa´s last blog ..The Amazing Race 15 : Comedic Duo =-.

• Carole says:

Wow, you’ll have to let us know how these turn out – I might just give that a try. Once my Mom and I made pinecone wreaths with some dubious directions she had. We also had to “roast” them in the oven. Ours however, were very sappy and sticky and my Mom ended up giving up on the project, although I persevered despite the super-glue-like-sap on my fingers and did end up making a nice wreath. I’m glad your pine cones weren’t sticky!
    .-= Carole´s last blog ..I Didn’t Realize We Are So Welcoming =-.

• jenn says:

You have just given me a wonderful idea for Christmas gifts!

And yes, baking the pine cones help them to open up fully…or at least that’s what my sister said when she baked some last year. She let her son and Brandi make glitter pine cones for a Thanksgiving centerpiece. I like your idea way better than hers! lol!
    .-= jenn´s last blog ..Cultivating A Friendship =-.

• Sue says:

My mom used to make decorations with pinecones, nuts and stuff, when I was little my sisters and I had to hunt down all the pinecones. These sound awesome. I can smell them now. I was laughing at your descriptions :)
    .-= Sue´s last blog ..Accor Hotels Super Sale! =-.

• That’s a very positive and forwarded thought, that’s why i just love your post.Please share some more advice like this, i will be waiting for your response .
    .-= heart disease symptoms´s last blog ..Heart Patient and Doctor =-.

• Please do a follow up post! I want to find out how the smell turns out! As luck would have it, I have to go to the dollar store today and I’ll snoop around for some essential cinnamon-y oils … but I must say, as fun as this sounds (and I even have the strongly suggested Apron Frenzy apron to sport), if I see a bag of cinnamon smelling pine cones for a dollar, I’m buying them. ;-)
    .-= Lisa – Life is Like a Box of Legos´s last blog ..If you build it, they will come … =-.

• Your post made me laugh so hard! My mother was an avid collector of pine cones and they seemed to follow us where ever we went. She always said that she was going to make these scented cones, and I don’t think it ever happened.

• Your idea seems fun. However I think I will leave the pine scent to my Christmas tree. Not saying what you doing is not fun, it’s actually a great idea. I myself just like to buy it already done for me.

• Hello there, I’ve just started up a blog website and I’ve started making rather varied articles. Do you mind if I write about this blog? Obviously I will provide you and this post due credit.

• Amelia says:

Pinecones make perfect gifts! Apparently, they also make great decorations! Added to that, the scent makes your room smelling perfect! And saves you a lot of money!
    .-= Amelia´s last blog ..Make Your Baby’s Travels Easy For Everybody =-.

• I love pinecone decorations. I particularly like how they are free, natural and are really beautiful. The scent of cinnamon is great and a combination of these two is too.

• Greetings. To start with I wish to say that I truly like your webpage, just observed it the past week but I’ve been reading it since then.

I look to consent with most of the views and beliefs and this post is no exception. entirely

Thank you for a fantastic webpage and I hope you preserve up the very good do the job. If you do I will continue to look over it.

Have a very good day.

• Great idea,I just love decoration of pinecone, one of my friend used to make such decorations and from thee i got this idea.

• This is going to sound wierd but there are a couple of recipies which include pinecones. Pinecone pie, no its not filled with them but baked in an oven with pinecones in, it tastes amazing with a little cinnomon, really earthy.