Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite thingsWhen the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I’m feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don’t feel so bad
Hello one and all, can you guess where I am going with this? My TT is 13 of my favorite things. One of them would be that song, which I performed in 6th grade chorus a few decades ago. I am going to go ahead and state here, in the preface, that my most favorite ‘things’ are my kids and my husband. That said, we can leave them off the list and go straight to the mundane, silly, superfluous and fun that is:
Vixen’s Thirteen Favorite Things:
- Snow. Especially the first giant, lofty, big flakes. Not that I get much of it here in SoCal. However, I grew up in Norcal and my grandparents bought a cabin in 1962. It was completed in 1963. My first Christmas was celebrated there, as was my first New Year’s. Growing up we spent all our summers and winter holidays there. The best was Thanksgiving or Christmas. My Great Grandmother taught me and my brother and sister the snow dance. The four of us would start the shuffle a few days before it was time to go home in the hopes we would get snowed in. That happened enough times that we kept trying every year!
- Roses. Not the store bought ones or florist ones that have no scent, but real roses grown in your own garden. They don’t have too look perfect, but they must be fragrant. I can just stand around the bush and sniff them all day long.
- Heroes and LOST. If the damn strike isn’t settled soon….I just don’t know what I will do, but I am sure it. will. not. be. pretty.
- Irish Breakfast Tea and Sweet Dreams. I love many teas (just not the fruity ones) but these two rock my boat. I don’t drink coffee much and have never tolerated caffeine well. As I am gracefully aging, I am more fully enjoying the kick that comes with the rich taste of the breakfast tea without the shakes and uber restroom use that comes from coffee. Sweet Dreams has been my go to ‘drug’ of choice to help me sleep forever and it smells heavenly.
- Mint chocolate chip ice cream from Baskin Robbins. I don’t like many sweets, but that one gets me if its BR.
- Potatoes. I love potatoes. Baked, fried, hash browns, mashed, chips…however. I love ’em. My daddy did not bequeath me the title “Potatoe Queen” at the tender age of 12 for naught.
- High speed Internet. Not to show my age or anything, but I was a huge fan of email in the ‘olden days. I would wake up and boot up my computer and log onto my free email service (Juno). I would then go take a shower, wake the kids, dress them and feed them. About that time my dial-up would have downloaded my email (sometimes it was longer). It was truly such a joy to get an email after all that effort….
- Puppies/Dogs. I adore them; big or small, stubborn or obedient, mutt or purebred. I adopt them, steal them, and purchase them. I have had so many wonderful canines in my life and they help perfect my existence.
- Yarn. Give it all to me. If you have some and are not sure what to do with it? Send it here. I love to crochet. But even more I love to admire yarn. Smooth, furry, thick, thin, colors, colors, colors. Let me create.
- Laptops. This kind of goes with #7, but even without high speed, I love that I can sit in my chair and write/create and then it will be saved forever.
- Anti-inflammatory medications. A new addition. But allowing me to continue my adoration and usage of #7, 9 and 10 while ignoring the ravages on early age RA (rheumatoid arthritis).
- Sunsets. The joy of a good sunset has yet to lose its entrancement for me. I cannot get enough of them. I take a million pictures monthly because they ‘feel’ different, yet when I see the pictures even I can’t tell the difference from one day to the next. I can’t wait until they develop a camera that can capture the feeling along with the scene.
- Cashews. I could never eat enough. And thus wraps up my TT of favorite things. Favorite things which also explain my inability to control my blood sugar?
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants