Hello All. Today is my birthday, I am 45 years young! Here are 13 things related to my birth date or age:
- At age 45: Andre Marie Ampere, a French physicist, discovered the rules relating magnetic fields and electric currents. Without this, I would have to chisel my blog into a cave wall somewhere.
- At age 45: George Foreman recaptured the heavyweight championship with a 10th round knockout, becoming the oldest person ever to win the heavyweight championship. I loved my Foreman Grill…until I discovered the Rocket Grill.
- At age 45: Earl Vickers created a program for displaying things other people accomplished when they were your age. Thanks dude, because I was stuck for a TT today.
- At age 45: Father Damien contracted leprosy. Struck with the sad condition of the lepers, whom it was the practice of the Hawaiian government to deport to the island of Molokai, he conceived an earnest desire to mitigate their lot, and in 1873 volunteered to take spiritual charge of the settlement at Molokai. Here he remained for the rest of his life, with occasional visits to Honolulu, until he became stricken with leprosy in 1885. Besides attending to the spiritual needs of the lepers, he managed, by the labor of his own hands and by appeals to the Hawaiian government, to improve the water supply, the dwellings and created order in the nearly lawless settlement. What a saint. But if you have to suffer, I do believe Molokai is the place to do it.
- Born January 3rd, 106 BC Cicero (Roman philosopher and statesman). For the first 35 years of my life (until it closed) my favorite place to eat was Cicero’s. A family run joint, where they still tossed the crust up into the air for every pizza.
- Born January 3rd, 1892 J.R.R. Tolkien (author, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, etc). I hate to admit I never read the books. But Orlando Bloom brought me to the theatre for the first one and I was hooked.
- Born January 3rd, 1946 Victoria Principal (actress). I know she was on Dallas, but I remember her best as the meany who broke Andy Gibb’s heart.
- Born January 3rd, 1946 John Paul Jones Bassist for Led Zeppelin. I got A Whole Lotta Love for Zep.
- Born January 3rd, 1956 Mel Gibson (actor). Best in the first Mad Max.
- On January 3rd, 1870 Construction begins of Brooklyn Bridge in New York. Someday I would like to visit NY and the BB.
- On January 3rd, 1871 Oleomargarine patented by Henry Bradley, Binghamton NY. Thank goodness, for what would I do without margarine?!?
- On January 3rd, 1888 The 91 cm refracting telescope at Lick Observatory is used for the first time. It was the largest telescope in the world at the time. My Dad has always been a huge astronomy buff and passed this love on to me. I have been to Lick for school outings (grew up near there). I wish I could be there tonight to view the Quads!
- On January 3rd, 1959 Alaska admitted to the Union as U.S. state. This state is at the top of my list of states I want to visit. I am an outdoorsy/camping/wildlife kinda girl.
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants