Yes, it’s one of those posts. All the little updates lumped together in bullet form! You love them, I know! This will not be short nor sweet, but still may lead to questions. If you have them (questions, that is) throw them at me! Give me something to write about tomorrow!
- Post-surgical: I *think* I am a little better every day. I am, however, still exhausted. Every single day. I suppose that is normal. I got a gross little infection last Friday which the doc called a ‘stitch abscess’. I am on antibiotics and he will check it again on Monday. During Collin’s memorial at the beach on Sunday, I stepped into a hole a dog and dug in front of me while I wasn’t looking. It twisted my ankle and, POW, down I went. So this week I have been sore and stiff again, nearly back to how I was a few weeks ago, but the doc says I didn’t do any damage.
- Super Garden Status: I am a bit disappointed in the super garden. I don’t know if it is because it didn’t get the same level of tender loving care from me while I was laid up or if it is the heirloom seeds, but my harvest has been miserable. Considering the months of time, sweat and effort I put into it. I only got three ears of corn. There were a lot more growing, but the corn stalks all suddenly turned brown and died and the corn stopped growing. I only got three zucchini so far, four bell peppers and about 11 tomatoes. Considering I have eight tomato plants, I was hoping for many more. Only three cucumbers grew, only one little pumpkin so far and lots of flowers, but no cantaloupe. I think next year I might go with commercial seed…..I just want so much more to show for all my efforts.
- Income or lack thereof: I finally got disability, but it isn’t much more than unemployment. Additionally, I never received my last week of unemployment pay. Instead I received a letter from the them stating I needed to have a ‘phone’ interview before I got anymore payments. I got the letter on July 12th and it stated that I had the “next available” interview time: August 17th. We did apply again for food stamps, but were denied because I don’t have proof from unemployment that they stopped paying me (because I can’t get that until after my phone interview), I don’t know how they expected me to eat during July, I just thank God for the kindness and assistance of all my dear friends.
- Why I never plan anything fun: I tried to plan a wonderful vacation in June, as you all know, and although it was a fantastic trip, I was in severe pain the entire time. So when my mom said she was going fishing up in Idaho just after Labor Day (as we did every year for over 10 years when we lived in Utah with her) and invited us to tag along….well, I got excited. Very, very excited. I cleared it with my doc. Checked the available seats on the airline (my mom is an ex-airline employee and Mr. Vix and I can fly on passes). Told the kids (and NO they didn’t take it well). Got more excited. Started dreaming about fishing last night…and the BAM! After three years of working on Mr. Vixen’s disability claim, just today we received notification that we finally have a hearing with the administrative law judge. And that hearing? Yes, during the time we were going fishing. Fishing=fail. Big heavy sigh.
- Health: During my surgery/hospital stay my blood sugars were really high. In fact, 2 of the 3 nights I was there I had to have insulin injections (I usually only take medication). We hoped that it was the stress of the surgery, but it continues to be higher than usual. No longer ‘well’ controlled in my opinion. Part of the problem is that the medication I was taking that controlled before surgery (glypizide XR) was not covered by Medi-Cal and so I had to switch to something else. Due to the fact that my share of cost for MediCal is $1000 every month, I am just continuing to take the meds I have and watching what I eat. I have no choice. I think the real problem lies with my weight. I have gained 8 pounds since the surgery. And I can’t exercise at all to get rid of it. Another heavy sigh. All I can do is bide my time, right?
- Calendar: August is a month chock-full-a stuff at Vixen’s Den. As you know, we just commemorated Collin’s one year. This weekend Mr. Vixen and I will celebrate (with pretend dinner out paid for with pretend money, hah) our 27th wedding anniversary. And two weekends from now the adorable (and full of mischief) Butterball will celebrate her 2nd birthday! Where does the time go? Do you know? Does anyone know? Is it hiding somewhere? Can we get some of it back?
- What to look forward to: Football. Pre-season starts tomorrow. Hooray.